A new year (and especially a new decade!) always inspires people to set goals to better their lives. It might be to exercise more, indulge less, save a certain amount of money or any number of self-improvement tactics.
Now that we are in the swing of the year, we want to encourage you to set resolutions to take care of your home as well. After all, when you maintain things like your HVAC system well, you typically end up saving money—two resolutions achieved in one! And don’t worry, it’s never too late to make a positive change.
Here are a few easy-to-achieve resolutions you can commit to in order to extend the life of your HVAC:
1. I will change my filter. We’ve written at length about the importance of cleaning and/or replacing your air filter here.
2. I will switch my ceiling fan direction with the seasons. Did you know that the direction of your ceiling fan affects how well it can help heat or cool your home? In the warm months, you want your fans to run counter-clockwise so that they blow cooler air down and in colder months, reverse them to run clockwise so that they pull the air up. This practice helps take some of the work off the HVAC system).
3. I will prep my home and HVAC to be as efficient as possible while I am out of town. You can read tips of prepping for a summertime vacation here.
4. I will keep an eye on my outdoor unit and clear any debris off it so that it can run smoothly and safely.
5. I will address a maintenance issue before it becomes a replacement issue. We at DSCR believe in handling small problems efficiently and affordably before they become too far gone and must be replaced entirely. If you are curious about the state of your system, call us for a consultation at 1-800-832-0758 or reach out online to schedule an appointment.