Dehumidifiers are one of the most underrated appliances when it comes to air conditioning, temperature control and even keeping your home healthy.
Here are some signs you might need a dehumidifier in your home:
- Mold spots. Small, dark mold spots on the ceiling or walls, especially in the bathroom, can be a clear sign that your home is retaining too much moisture. If there isn’t a simple way to exhaust steam or humidity from an area of your home, you probably need a dehumidifier.
- Difficulty maintaining temperature. Moist air holds onto heat so if you are running your A/C ragged and still feeling hot and sweaty, a dehumidifier could make all the difference.
- Stale or moldy food. Produce, bread, cereal and other food goes bad faster in humid environments. Decreasing the dampness in your home can help keep you from throwing food (and therefore money) away.
- Damage to wood, wallpaper or paint. If you see rotting wood or bubbles under your wallpaper and paint, excess humidity could be affecting not just the appearance of your home, but the structural integrity as well.
- Musty odor. Even if you can’t see physical evidence of excess moisture, a distinctly mildewy or musty smell is a clear indicator that it is present.
- Increased allergies. Higher moisture increases not only mold but also dust mites, two of the most common allergens. If you notice an uptick in your allergies during the more humid months, it’s a good sign that a dehumidifier could help improve your health.
All those issues can be solved by installing a dehumidifier. These little HVAC miracles can decrease the dust, mold and dust mites in your home while improving your allergies, lowering your energy costs and helping your clothing, food, and belongings last longer. Plus, if you paint or like to air-dry your clothing, both will dry faster with a dehumidifier running.
Ready to breathe easier? If you want to look into a dehumidifier for your home or building, call Dominion Service Company at 1-800-832-0758 or reach out online to schedule an appointment 24/7.