Your HVAC system should do a lot more for your air than just adjust the temperature. Air filtration and purification is another major role of HVAC—does your system need an upgrade?
The benefits of air purifiers include:
- Filtering out allergens like pet dander and dust
- Trapping airborne viruses and bacteria
- Removing or reducing bad odors
Plus, for many businesses, air purifiers can be beneficial in reducing volatile organic compounds from the air. Places where VOCs are particularly prevalent include print shops, salons, dry cleaners and repair shops, but any business where cleaning and printing goes on (so, nearly all offices) will have some VOCs.
There are multiple types of air purifying systems to choose from, with pros and cons to each of them.
- High Energy Particulate Air (HEPA) filters are large mechanical filters that trap particles as air is pushed through. Quality HEPA filters can trap more than 99% of airborne particulates that are .3 microns and larger.
- Carbon activated filters work similarly to HEPA filters, but are particularly suited to minimizing odors, smoke and VOCs thanks to the way contaminants are trapped by the filters.
- Ultraviolet light purifiers are often used in combination with a mechanical filter like a HEPA filter. The UV light kills micro-organisms like bacteria as they pass through.
- Electrostatic air purifiers use static electricity to trap particles as small as .1 microns. These filters can be re-used, lessening waste, but do need to be washed.
- Ionizing air purifiers use negative ions to attract positively-charged particles, pulling them down out of the air.
Whatever type of system you use, air purification can go a long way in making your air cleaner and healthier, reducing allergies, breathing issues and airborne sickness. If you are ready for a consultation, deep clean or upgrade of your HVAC air purifier, give us a ring! Call Dominion Service Company at 1-800-832-0758 or reach out online to schedule an appointment 24/7.